HAIKU AND PHOTO CHALLENGE
An evening of haiku and poetry inspired images.
Find a verse or write one yourself and illustrate it with one of your photographs.
Why should I write a haiku?
You may ask.
Haiku teaches us to notice the elegant beauty of each moment of life. If you make writing haiku a daily exercise, not only will the format come easy, but you will also be trained to see amazing things around you that usually go unnoticed. In the hassle of modern life, stop sometimes, observe the beauty that’s around you…
- People rushing round,
Collected and observing
Writing a haiku.
Picking up pebbles
Or seashells strewn on soft sand
Decorating the night sky…
Awaiting the moon
Full strawberry moon,
ushers in hot days of June,
high tides fill the dune
—Patricia L Cisco
A Haiku Poem is made using 3 lines.
The poem can be spoken in one breath.
LINE 1 —–5 syllables
LINE 2 —–7 syllables
LINE 3 —–5 syllables
In a world of one colour
The sound of the wind Basho
OUR PHOTO AND IMAGE CHALLENGE
- You can start with a haiku or an image.
- If you have an image look at it very closely and write how it makes you feel. Record what you can see and what the images’ story is.
- Now you can think of specific words that you want to use and put them into a word bank.
- How many syllables do your words have? Record the number for later.
- Now think 3 lines.
- 5 – 7 – 5 syllables for each line
- Write your haiku
- Transfer your haiku into position on your image using Photoshop.
PUTTING HAIKU AND IMAGE TOGETHER
- Once you have your photo and haiku you have to put them together.
- This is done using the text tool ‘T’ in Photoshop or other image software.
- There are a number of websites that give instructions on how to write text on to an image.
- Search for ‘Using text in Photoshop’
- Flatten your image and save it.
- You then need to resize it 1400 by 1050 pixels as we do for competitions.
UPLOADING FINISHED WORK
- You can upload up to 4 jpeg images. from the link below
- Any issues with the transfer of your haiku to your image I will try and help.
- Contact Marie by email
- Good Luck!!!
Please add your Haiku text onto your image using an image editor such as Photoshop, Affinity etc. into the CAPTION field. In lightroom this is underneath the TITLE field that you will probably already be using.
The uploaded file needs to be in jpeg format, the same as we use for competitions.
If you need help or advice on how to do this, just ask a committee member.